“It’s so great to see women wearing their strength instead of hiding it to appease others….”
Welcome back to another Feature Friday! As always, I am so excited to bring you another amazing woman doing big and amazing things. This week, we are giving all the praise to a natural-born leader and creative. She is beautiful inside and out, and has some of the best fashion I’ve ever seen. I just love her personality and her style. For those of you who are mothers, and also living your best life as an entrepreneur, this is for you! Grab a cup, and enjoy your Friday read. Time to get inspired! Get to know……
Current City & Hometown: Baltimore, Maryland
Full-time job: Art Teacher
Hi Sam! Welcome to The Boss Diary! So glad you’re here. Tell me about how you started as an Artist.
Hey Nkay Hey! It’s such a pleasure to connect with you (All). I’m a true creative native of Baltimore, serving Art & Style with Love. My appreciation for Fashion and Art started early- I remember being 6 years old tracing the outfits and accessories in my Mom’s magazines. The sketch pad followed me everywhere- until my high school fashion show where I was able to model and design my own garments! Post private school, Western Senior High school was my first opportunity to let my creativity Rage.
From there, my creativity extends to Wardrobe styling, Creative directing and Fashion design.
I absolutely love your fashion style! It’s so afrocentric yet vintage. Who are your biggest fashion inspirations?
Thank you! My style is fluid so my influences change as I change. My timeless references include Tracee Ellis Ross, Grace Jones, Sade, and 80s Robin Williams.
I Love Claire Huxtable and Claire Sulmers- Kehlana Barfield gives me an assortment of what I need. But honestly, I’m always open to being inspired. I see people everyday that spark an idea or a design.
Along those same lines, who are some of your favorite business women or entrepreneurs that you look up to and have inspired your work? I love Myleik Teele, Auntie Oprah of course, Beyoncé, and Kris Jenner. I love Bold, risk-taking business women- the Loud Ladies, lol. It’s So great to see women wearing their strength instead of hiding it to appease others. I’m all for making things uncomfortable, shattering ceilings and changing the narrative. These women are my go to’s for a Boost.
Can you tell me more about Beads & Bubbly?
Sure! Think Sip & Paint but instead of a canvas, you’re taking home wearable Art! I offer a few different workshops from Bracelets, to statement necklaces to Waistbeads! The goal is to give you all the unique materials you’ll need to build something You love.
Tell me one thing that most people may not know about you.
I enrolled at Morgan State University with the intentions of becoming a Physical Therapist- and Here I stand 🤣.
Name one thing that your hometown city is known for.
Steamed Crabs with Old Bay!!!!
Where would you like to be in exactly 1 year from now?
Traveling the world with my family in tow, exploring new areas to find vintage luxuries and new materials.
Before you go, what is one piece of advice you would give to women out there who are looking to start their own business?
Research where you want to go, and document your journey. It’s important we make sure our businesses serve us instead of becoming consumed with seeing it through. Your business Must make sense!
- Summer activity: Traveling; Exploring new cities
- Restaurant in your neighborhood: Capital Lounge
- Podcast: Black Girl in Om
- Lipstick: Lady Balls by Too Faced
- Color: Pewter
- Social Media App: @Instagram
- Disney movie: wow, lol – I’m digging Moana (because… Mom life) but my favorite movie of all time is Teen Witch (its not Disney though)
- If you won $20 million dollars in the lottery, what would you do with that money? With half, Take care of any outstanding debt, travel and invest… Ive got Tons of ideas for inventions, businesses, and community oriented ventures.
- How would you describe your best friend in 3 words? Crazy, Adventurous, Hilarious
- What is the last good book that you’ve read? Elevation has a Pricetag
- What is the best concert that you’ve been to? It’s been a While- I’m not really the concert goer.
- Number one travel destination in the world that you would like to visit? Tibet
- Who is your current celebrity crush? I love Cardi B- her authenticity is So refreshing
- 3 things on your bucket list? Stand up comedy amateur night, Dinner in the Sky, and deep sea diving.