“Make sure you are determined and don’t let anything or anyone discourage you.”
Welcome back to another Feature Friday! I am so happy that one of my favorite humans on earth is sharing her story with you ladies today. I met this gem in high school and we’ve been kickin’ it ever since! She is absolutely hilarious and, is most importantly, an amazing cook! I never pass up an opportunity to eat some of her latest creations. I admire her hard work and determination. She is currently in Italy, and I could not be more happy for her! Grab a cup and enjoy your Friday read! Get to know…
Current City: Buffalo, NY
Hometown: Buffalo, NY
Full-time job: Culinary Arts Student, Full-time Mom
Hi Adrianna! Welcome to The Boss Diary! So glad you’re here. Tell me all about how you started as a Culinary Arts Student.
Thank you, I’m glad you invited me. Well I stated learning how to cook when I was about 10 years old. My grandma taught me a few of her recipes that I still use today. I turned my love for cooking into a career path and started a cupcake business in 2012. Then I decided that I wanted to enhance my skills and I decided to go to culinary school. I just graduated this past May 2018 and now I’m in Italy on an internship.
I think its so amazing that you are in Italy! Tell me how this opportunity came about, and what you are doing there?
Well in school they offer a scholarship for a 10 week internship, cooking in some of the world’s best restaurants so I applied and was awarded the scholarship. The internship involves the students to learn some different cooking styles. So we do prep work and some cooking and baking. Then at the end we have to make a signature dish and be evaluated on flavor, presentation and technique. I’ve been in Italy since the end of May and will be doing my signature dish tomorrow which will be my last day.
Who are some of your favorite business women or entrepreneurs that you look up to and have inspired your work?
My favorite business woman is my grandma. She started her own catering business and provided quality and delicious foods from native American food to southern cooking.
Have you experienced any challenges as a Culinary Arts student? If so, how did you overcome them?
Yes I have a 3 year old son and he was diagnosed with neurofibromatosis, which is a disease that attacks the body on a cellular level. But this was very challenging between the doctor appointment and homework and studying I managed to stay focused and organized and was able to pull off being on the Dean’s list for 3 semesters.
What is your favorite dish?
My favorite dish to eat is rice and beans with pernil (roasted pork) and my favorite dish to cook is my meatloaf and loaded mashed potatoes and green beans.
Tell me one thing that most people may not know about you.
I don’t like to clean, but being in school bus taught me to clean up after myself while I’m cooking so there’s no big mess at the end.
Are there any projects you are working on, and/or upcoming events that we should know about?
Well I’m in the process of starting my own catering company with my friend and classmate Geneva and the name of the company is called unique katering. Right now I plan of having a bake sale when I get back home. Not sure of the date. I’ll keep you posted on the date and the flavors of cupcakes I’ll be selling.
Name one thing that your hometown city is known for that some people may not know.
That’s a good question. Other than the chicken wings, I think we are famous for our hotdog brand? Lol I honestly don’t know.
Where would you like to be in exactly 1 year from now?
I would like to have a successful catering company.
Before you go, what is one piece of advice you would give to women out there who are looking to start their own blog or business?
Just to make sure you are determined and don’t let anything or anyone discourage you. It will be very hard work but in the end you will feel good about yourself.
- Summer activity: I like going to little gatherings with friends and family.
- Restaurant in your neighborhood: Winfeilds pub
- Podcast: I don’t know that is lol
- Lipstick: matte
- Color: dark red, Brownish red
- Social Media App: Facebook
- Disney movie: Hercules
- If you won $20 million dollars in the lottery, what would you do with that money? I would invest and put money aside for Mckayla and Liam’s college fund. Buy a house for my.mom and build a house for myself. Buy a food truck, donate to a worthy charity. Take my kids on a cruise. Put the rest away in stocks and bonds.
- How would you describe your best friend in 3 words? Well I have 3 best friends, one is optimistic, driven, and beautiful inside and out. My other best friend is caring, loving, and a great listener. My 3rd best friend is funny, caring, and sarcastic.
- What is the last good book that you’ve read? I’ve been so busy lately I haven’t had time to catch a good one!
- What is the best concert that you’ve been to? Bruno Mars
- Number one travel destination in the world that you would like to visit? Barcelona, Spain.
- Who is your current celebrity crush? Bruno Mars
- 3 things on your bucket list? Visit Italy, Spain, France, Amsterdam