So let’s take a moment to talk about the latest Instagram algorithm that has everyone (including me) on the edge of our seats. In case you aren’t aware, Instagram announced earlier this year that they are now organizing your feed in the order of moments they believe you will care about the most. The order of photos and videos in your feed will be based on the likelihood you’ll be interested in the content and the timeliness of the post.
Why has this made so many Instagram user so angry?
Because algorithm-based feeds are influenced by so many different factors – like the type of content people engage with, or how long people spend viewing your posts. Instagram used to show your feed in chronological order, which everyone was happy with.
As a result of this, a lot of businesses saw a huge decline in their Instagram engagement. Although Instagram claims this new algorithm is a way to cater users’ content to posts that they’re actually interested in, some think that it’s actually just a way for IG to force business owners to boost their posts or buy ads – in order to drive more traffic to their profiles.
So yes, the algorithm is pretty crappy (and hopefully it goes away very soon) but as with anything we do in life, we have to focus on creating a positive outcome despite the setbacks. Instagram won’t stop our shine! Here’s a few ways you can increase your Instagram traffic:
- Always post high-quality pictures – I’ve always said that it’s so important that the images you post can make or break your brand. If you’re a blogger and you want to be a real professional, then you have to look professional. Blurry pics, bad lighting, and a dirty lens are all huge no’s. Your Instagram posts are a reflection of you and your brand. Use a professional DSLR camera if you have one, and if you can’t afford one right now, use your smartphone. I used my iphone6 for a long time before I invested in a camera. Wipe off your lens before taking a pic, and be sure to take photos in natural light. One of my favorite Fashion Influencers and Girl Boss Feature Loreanstyles does an excellent job at this. Her photos are always on point. They all look professional, clean and polished. When I go on her page, I want to scroll down and see more. She keeps her audience engaged with every post.
- Use a compelling caption – Simply put, captions are everything! But whats important to remember, is that your caption doesn’t have to be a long narrative. It can be as simple as 3-4 sentences. It’s not about the length of the caption, it’s what you’re actually saying. So for example, instead of saying “Hanging out at the beach with my new shades from Zara,” you can spice it up and make it more relatable to your audience: “I couldn’t have purchased a better pair of sunglasses for my summer vacation. There are so many cute shades to choose from at Zara, and perfect for any style. Comment with you favorite emoji if you love these as much as I do!” The second caption gives a little bit more depth and makes your reader more engaged with your post.
- Comment on other people’s content – the move active you are on Instgram, the more visible you are. The thing about Instagram is – you can’t be lazy. Cosistenty is key with anything that you do. Treat the gram like its your digital portfolio. If someone takes the time to like and comment on your posts, return the favor. Don’t be fake about it, but be genuine. Show an interest in their blog posts. Shout them out, and engage in their call-to-actions. The more you’re out and about and engaging with other people, the more opportunity you have for potential followers to discover you.
- Use a CTA – What do I mean by a CTA? – Call-to-action. This means that you are asking your followers to take an action. Ask them to read your latest blog post, subscribe to your YouTube Channel, or ask them a question or tag your boss babe. Regardless of how you structure your CTA – they are one of the most effective ways to get your audience involved. Make them feel like they’re part of your story.
- Use your Instagram stories daily – My final tip for you today is to always keep up with your Instagram stories. They are the perfect way to show that you’re a real human being! Be authentic. Share what you did that day, and give your readers a piece of your beautiful, authentic selves. Video is everything in 2018, trust me! People absolutely love watching the person behind the brand. They want to know what you’re doing, where you’re going, and what your life is like. Keep using those visuals girl, your Insta fam needs them!
I hope these tips will help you, and give you some clarity on how the algorithm may be affecting you. Stay focused, stay consistent, and keep hustlin’ You’re a gem babe….thanks for reading. See ya in the next one